My Sports Blog

Welcome to my Sports Blog.
I love sports, especially Michigan sports. I don't claim to be an expert on facts or records, but I have opinions on most anything. I hope you enjoy my thoughts. Feel free to comment or disagree with me.
Your feedback will be happily received.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

NFL Latest

The NFL is thinking about changing the rules for overtime play. As of right now, the winner of the coin toss has quite an advantage getting the ball first and then just working down the field to kick a field goal. Today's field goal kickers can kick farther and more accurate than the kickers in the 50's, and with the current passing attacks, teams can move down the field for a fairly easy win. How do they improve this?
I never did like the college football overtime format.  I sure hope they don't go that route! It seems too dragged out.
I have heard some of the NFL  ideas so far, and they are not very stimulating. I have my own ideas, and I would like to suggest them to the National Football League now.
1. Get rid of all coin tosses. They are childish and antiquated. Home teams should always receive the ball first. If they want it first?
2. In overtime, the team who has the ball last in regulation time must kick off to the opponents. This will force the last team with the ball to try and break the tie before regulation ends, knowing that they won't get the ball first in the overtime period. It could be mostly be their fault if the game goes to overtime for not being aggressive enough.
3. In the overtime period each team has 3 minutes to score with only one timeout. Once they lose the ball and time runs out, they must kick off to the other team. Kickoffs go back and forth with possessions. More kickoffs, more excitement, and more special teams involvement.
Would it work? I don't know. Just my thoughts.

The last period of the Olympic hockey game between Canada and the U.S. was one of the best I have seen in years. The offensive flow of both teams were tremendous and really exciting. The game was not stopped for unnecessary penalties or frequent commercial breaks. The NHL could learn a few thing from the Olympics.

March Madness is right around the corner. Can't wait!
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment