My Sports Blog

Welcome to my Sports Blog.
I love sports, especially Michigan sports. I don't claim to be an expert on facts or records, but I have opinions on most anything. I hope you enjoy my thoughts. Feel free to comment or disagree with me.
Your feedback will be happily received.

Friday, March 26, 2010

New NFL Playoff Rule

When I first read the new rule for the NFL overtime playoff picture, I was not very enthused. My first thoughts were that if was just too little, and not enough change. If it doesn't help a lot, why change the rule in the first place? But after hearing some of the remarks by the NFL coaches I took another look at it. Guess what? I like it a whole bunch.
First off I looked at the problem. When the NFL changed the kickoffs from the 35 to the 30-yard line, the run backs by the special teams started getting deeper into the opponents territory, giving the receiving team a great field position to kick a field goal and win the game. The team winning the coin toss had a real advantage and it seemed too easy to win a game after a grueling battle, which finished in a tie.
The NFL solution is that if the "winning coin toss team" kicks a field goal, the opponent will have a chance to get the ball and do the same. If the two teams both kicked field goals, the game would go into sudden death and the first team that scores first in any way, wins. However, if either team scores a touchdown, or safety, the game would end right there. Got it?
This rule is a lot better than what the NFL had. It is not perfect, and I would have liked the coin toss (I hate it!) being eliminated. I am sure there will be more improvements in the future. This is a good start.
How about giving the home team the first option, or even going with "the team with the most yards after regulation?" Or the team with the best cheerleaders?
Any comments?
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment