My Sports Blog

Welcome to my Sports Blog.
I love sports, especially Michigan sports. I don't claim to be an expert on facts or records, but I have opinions on most anything. I hope you enjoy my thoughts. Feel free to comment or disagree with me.
Your feedback will be happily received.

Friday, February 26, 2010

LIONS DRAFT DAY

Even though the NFL draft day is about 5 weeks away, talk of the Detroit Lion's number two pick has gone from a formality to high speculation. It was a no-brainer that after St. Louis picked either defensive tackles McCoy or Suh, with the first pick, that the Lions would pick the other player.
Things have changed. Now that the Rams are going to pick quarterback Sam Bradford, the Lions will now have a choice between these two fine tackles. My feeling is that they will pick one of them, because Lion's coach Schwartz says they will draft the best athletes in the draft. These two probably are the best athletes to go into the draft this year, but I hope they don't pick either. I say, trade the number two pick and obtain two really fine players instead of just one. The Lions are hurting in so many positions that what they need now are more quality players instead of just one or two really good ones. I don't think they will do this, but they should. Number two picks are priceless and they should try to get as much out of it as possible. Of course, if they have another bad season, they may have the number two pick again in 2011?
I said in an earlier post that there were not a lot of good running backs in the 2010 draft. Actually there are a bunch of good ones, but only after the first round. I wanted the Lions to pick up Damien Tomlinson as a back, at least until Kevin Smith (sooner now, that he will not have his shoulder operation) returns. But it looks like now no one wants to deal with Damien. He hasn't had a good year since his father died in a car crash in 2008. So the Lions need a running back, at least temporarily. There should be some good ones in the second, or third rounds. With that extra pick from the trade, who knows?

I see the NFL Combine is doing baseline brain testing for all of the college players this year. We could have used this in the Matt Millen era.

No comments:

Post a Comment