My Sports Blog

Welcome to my Sports Blog.
I love sports, especially Michigan sports. I don't claim to be an expert on facts or records, but I have opinions on most anything. I hope you enjoy my thoughts. Feel free to comment or disagree with me.
Your feedback will be happily received.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Help for the Lions

Just read in the Detroit Free Press that the Detroit Lions were not interested in running back La Dainian Tomlinson, who was just released by the San Diego Chargers this week.
Why not? Is it the money? Haven't they wasted millions already on poor choice football prospects?
The Lions are still high on the future of Kevin Smith. He is their number one running back (for now) and is recovering from a leg or knee operation and might not be back until the middle of the season. Everyone is hoping it is sooner not later.
What to do? We need a running back. Any player they pick will probably be a temporary fill-in until Kevin comes back. The Lions don't plan on drafting a back this year because of the poor selection of backs coming from college. They plan on tackling the draft by picking the best talent this year and not necessarily filling positions. I agree with this plan, especially with the many needs the team has.
Why not get Tomlinson for a year, or maybe even two? Has he got anything left in his tank? Who knows? He is 30 years old (old for a back) and with a new team may become inspired to finish his career on a high note. The Lions could help him do that, and he surely would bring some fans back to the stadium to cheer him on so he could add to his NFL records.
He was the MVP in the NFL in 2006, and will definitely be a Hall of Famer when he retires.
Come on Lions! Sign him up!
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment