My Sports Blog

Welcome to my Sports Blog.
I love sports, especially Michigan sports. I don't claim to be an expert on facts or records, but I have opinions on most anything. I hope you enjoy my thoughts. Feel free to comment or disagree with me.
Your feedback will be happily received.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday Morning

Saturday the Detroit Red Wings lost to the San Jose Sharks and were eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs. Some are saying the series was closer than it looked, because all of the Wings losses were by only one goal. I say, "So what!" Even if both teams were evenly matched, the only result that counts is who wins four games first? The Sharks played well enough to win, and there was no doubt which team played better in the final game. Had the Wings shot at the net a hundred more times, I doubt they would have come any closer to scoring. San Jose was set on defending the net, and they guarded it like a fortress. The result: Sharks 3 - Wings 1.
The big turnaround for the Wings was in the third game, when they were up by two goals in the third period and let it slip away, eventually losing in overtime. Penalties were quite lopsided, but that is all part of the game. The referees control many of the outcomes of the games anyway. One odd occurrence happened in the series, when there were two penalty shots awarded (neither scored), which could have been a record for a six game series?

The Oakland Raiders released quarterback JaMarcus Russell after three unproductive years. Is he the biggest bust of all? He might be, but I doubt it. After reading, "Football's most Wanted", which listed the biggest Heisman Trophy busts of all time. The Detroit Lions had two in the top 10. Chuck Long and Andre Ware. Chuck Long on his only start in a season (1987), threw 11 touchdowns and had 20 interceptions. Wow! The Lions are bad now, but they were much worse then.

Last Note: I have never complained about second hand smoke, having both smoked and downed a few beers over the years. I just recently went to my old bowling-bar hangout and was amazed at the clear, clean atmosphere in the place. It was very refreshing, and noticeable. It was quite different from the stale, smoky, and unhealthy area it had once been. I was surprised. I like the new Michigan smoking law!
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment