My Sports Blog

Welcome to my Sports Blog.
I love sports, especially Michigan sports. I don't claim to be an expert on facts or records, but I have opinions on most anything. I hope you enjoy my thoughts. Feel free to comment or disagree with me.
Your feedback will be happily received.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tim Tebow

The Denver Broncos drafted Tim Tebow last Friday in the NFL Draft. Shock waves went through all of the sports media outlets as experts displayed surprise and bewilderment. How could this happen? Didn't almost everyone predict that Tebow would not make it into the Pro game as a quarterback? Didn't Mel Kiper rip into Denver for taking this pick, and calling it stupid?
I have no feelings at all for Tebow, one way or another, but never have I heard such talk about any player not making it in the NFL before he has even had a chance. What do they see that I don't see? He was one of the best, if not the best quarterback in college football. His records are staggering, and he has not been in trouble with the law, abused drugs, or raped anyone. I think he deserves a chance without everyone knocking his mechanics, footwork and passing sharpness before he even plays on a Sunday.
Is the quarterback position so easy to figure out, that before a player even takes one snap, he is ruled as unplayable? Is it such a science that we can tell who will make it and who won't, before the start of their career?
If this is the case, then what happened to the sure prospects of the past, like Joey Harrington, Ryan Leaf, Chuck Long, and Tim Couch? Mel Kiper's worst quarterback pick of any draft was the seventh overall pick, Andre Ware (Detroit) in 1990. in fact, all of these quarterbacks were picked in the first round and all were busts.
I don't know if Tim Tebow will make it in the NFL. I am absolutely positive that no one really knows. Give him a break. See what he can do. He might just surprise a few people. He might surprise Mel Kiper?

I remember a quarterback who did not play in college and had the most unorthodox way of playing that position, and who ended up in the Hall of Fame. In the 50's I attended a game where he handily beat the Detroit Lions 36 to 0 in sub degree temperatures. He holds the record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass. (47) His name is Johnny Unitas of the Baltimore Colts and is listed as one of the best quarterbacks of all time. I am pulling for Tim.
Bob

1 comment:

  1. I agree Dad. If you ask me, Tim Tebow will surprise some people.

    ReplyDelete